"Wherever men have lived there is a story to be told." Henry David Thoreau

Friday, February 19, 2016

Taking the Next Step

My Mom, 1940
It’s been a long time since I posted anything on my blog. As my mother would say, “What will people think?” Well, sometimes I don’t care what people think. Especially when the death of that same dear woman is the reason I’ve been mostly absent from the world of writing for over a year.

Life–and death–sometimes throws us into a tailspin. A year ago my dear mother died at the age of 94 from an inoperable form of cancer. She was strong and determined to the very end, just as she had been her entire life.

When my father died eighteen years ago, also of cancer, I found myself writing The Daughters of Luke McCall to somehow get myself past the grief. The book was intended to be funny and lighthearted–opposite of the pain and sorrow I had experienced from watching him die. I remember laughing through the tears while I wrote that book. It was somehow cathartic.

I couldn’t do the same thing after my mother’s death. Perhaps it was different because when my dad passed, my family and I still had her to hold onto. When any loved one dies, it leaves you with a hole in your heart and in your life that can never be filled. When it's a parent, you are still their child, no matter your age at the time of loss. Sometimes it takes a long time to step back into the world of the living and pick up where you left off.

Last summer, even though I couldn’t get my head around creating anything new, I put one of my older romances out as an ebook. It was something, a baby step. As for writing blog posts, nothing came to mind. And now, just today, I finally finished a book I had started so long ago that it’s embarrassing. (At least it's finished until I decide to revise again!) This one took me in a different direction from my other books. Nothing like stepping out on a limb!

As for posting to this blog–it’s going to take a different direction, too. More on that next time. The important thing to any setback in life is to eventually pull yourself up by the bootstraps and take the next step, leap the next hurdle, and move forward. It's what my mother would do.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can identify with this post, Linda. Life does throw all of us curve balls. Sometimes we can bounce back quick while other times it takes a moment or ten to lick our wounds before we jump into the thick of things again...wow talk about over use of cliches. I'm happy to see you taking babysteps. Can't wait to read your newest WIP.
Sue Anne

Eunice Boeve said...

Linda, I love that picture of your mom, and I liked your post. When we are grieving it is very hard to live life as we did before. In fact we can't and we need to cut ourselves some slack. There are those who reject the idea of mourning as if it were a weakness. The truth is, it is necessary for our mental health to grieve. Also, there is no time limit on grieving. Some may say your mother lived a nice long life, etc. etc.. That makes no difference, you loved her and we grieve the passing of those we love. At a grief seminar I attended while we were still in the funeral business, the speaker asked if we knew the meaning of the words "Only the good die young." Then he explained that when you love someone, no matter their age, because we loved them they have gone too soon. I'll be looking forward to your next blog.

LadyMac said...

Linda, nice picture. Your mother was a very pretty lady. I still get photos of my mom out often and look at them. She passed away six years ago this month and I suspect I'm still grieving, especially every February. It took awhile to get to where I could write again and then it became therapuetic.

It's good to see you writing your blog. You have so much talent and such a good way with epressing emotions. I can't wait to read your recent book.

Linda Sandifer said...

Thanks Sue Anne, Eunice, and Maxine for your comments. I know we have all experienced the loss of a parent or someone dear. It's good to have friends who understand what we are going through. And yes, she was pretty, both inside and out.

Amanda Gaume said...

Thanks for the beautiful post. She was truly a special lady, and I loved her dearly. I miss her every day (and suspect I, too, am still grieving). I am glad to hear you're getting back on the old wagon, so to speak, and I look forward to your new writing adventures. I have missed reading your stories!

Linda Sandifer said...

Thanks, Amanda. I wonder when I'll get up in the morning and not think, "Oh, I need to call Mom." As for writing, "adventures" does sum it up!

B.J. Anderson said...

Beautiful post, Mom. And I love that picture of her. Best of luck with the new direction.

Linda Sandifer said...

Thanks for commenting, Bonny, and giving the encouragement to try something new with the blog.