"Wherever men have lived there is a story to be told." Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wyoming: A Great Place to Brainstorm


We recently made a trip across Wyoming to visit family. I must say, crossing this state is always interesting. If you've ever taken the trip you might think I've lost my mind. You might think there is nothing out there in all that expanse but sagebrush and rocks. But look again. There are miles and miles of very tall snow fence, herds of antelope and cattle (usually black Angus), and the occasional semi-truck tipped over by the wind. (The tag "Windy Wyoming" wasn't pulled out of a cowboy hat.) Oh, and this time of year, there's always the excitement of getting caught in a spring snowstorm.

But, wait, there's more to this state than meets the eye. For us writers, it's a darn good place to hatch book ideas and solve plotting problems. Even while dodging semi-trucks (which are always driving over the speed limit), a writer can start feeling the creative juices flowing. And, with my husband trapped in the car with no place to go, I can bounce ideas off his head. I can tell him my story line and the problem I'm having and he will always come up with something that helps get the kinks out, even if I don't end up using his idea. I've solved more than one instance of writer's block while on I-80.

So, all in all, I don't mind driving across Wyoming (if it isn't snowing). It's a darn good place to clear your mind and do some heavy-duty brainstorming for your next book.

5 comments:

B.J. Anderson said...

I have to agree! But then again, I live in Wyoming, so I'd be in trouble if I didn't like it. :D

Emily Sandifer said...

Sounds great :) Wish I could have been with you for the trip!

Mara Nash said...

I agree. Wyoming's pretty cool. It looks a lot like where I live in ND (except for the Tetons...we have nothing that big here). Driving across Montana, Wyoming, and either of the Dakotas is bound to work out the writing kinks.

Linda Sandifer said...

Wish you could have been with us, too, Emily, but I know you wouldn't have liked the snow! And Mara, I agree that ND is a lot like Wyoming (maybe not so windy?).

Eunice Boeve said...

My mother's family homesteaded in the Wheatland, Chugwater area. They moved there from Iowa when Mom was about 9 years old. Some years later, my dad came to Wyoming to work on ranches and met my mother there. Shortly after their marriage they moved to Montana and stayed. I love the wide expanse of Wyoming, but can also imagine a blizzard sweeping across those plains.