"Wherever men have lived there is a story to be told." Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Deep Winter


I don't profess to be a poet, but I dug out this old poem, which seems appropriate about now.

Deep Winter

Long shadows stretch across the snow,
A gentle breeze begins to blow,
The creek has long since ceased to flow.
It is deep winter.

The horses paw for grass now dry,
In snow that rises ankle high,
Moonshine lightens up the sky.
It is deep winter.

Jack Frost clings to puppy hair,
In early morning, nostrils flare,
The willow stands so calm and bare.
It is deep winter.

The sunshine blinds me in the morn,
The path I walk is old and worn,
My heart delights at a new day born.
It is deep winter.

--by Linda Sandifer
Use with permission only

7 comments:

Deb@RGRamblings said...

Great poem Linda, love your use of repetition. I can relate to this one :)

Linda Sandifer said...

Glad you liked it, Deb. Now, we can look forward to spring, right?

asabourova said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Kat Harris said...

This poem is beautiful. Suddenly, another few weeks of winter somehow seem tolerable now. :-)

Linda Sandifer said...

Kat and asabourova, I'm glad you enjoyed the poem.

B.J. Anderson said...

Oh, I love it!! :) Beautiful!

Linda Sandifer said...

Thanks, B. J. Glad you liked it.