"Wherever men have lived there is a story to be told." Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Internet Addiction


I lost my internet connection on Monday, and naturally it came at the worst possible time (there's never a good time for your internet to go down). So I made the dreaded call to the company, thinking they could walk me through a quick fix (if I could understand the person on the other end of the line). It wasn't to be. The fix, that is. I actually got connected with someone who spoke pretty good English. I could understand him and he could understand me. That was a huge relief in and of itself. But my problem was bigger, something to do with the cable and the satellite dish and something shorting out. Anyway, I had to put in a work order for someone to come to the house. I had to wait three days! Think of yourself being an addict going without your fix (or your dark chocolate!) for three days. I kept going into the office to check email only to be reminded there was no connection to the outside world through my computer. I couldn't check my bank account, couldn't do research, couldn't check the blog, couldn't start the Christmas shopping. . . .

I didn't think the internet was so integral to everything I did, but this experience made me think of Dean Koontz's book, Midnight. If you've read it, you'll know what I mean about getting a little too "connected" to your computer.

4 comments:

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

Yup, technology is a wickedly brilliant necessity in our lives.

B.J. Anderson said...

Lol, I hear you. It's soooo easy to be totally hooked on the internet. I spend way too much time on it. It's pathetic.

asabourova said...

That's a great book (love Dean Koontz)... but I understand the addiction. Glad you have your internet back... we missed you!!

Deb@RGRamblings said...

The Internet has become such a big part of our daily routines - I rarely even look in a cook book anymore. It would be hard to live without now, I think I'd miss the easy research materials the most.

We're on satellite as well, I like knowing that I can live anywhere and still be connected.

Glad you're back online!