"Wherever men have lived there is a story to be told." Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Education of a Wandering Man

I've always been a fan of Louis L'Amour books. I read a number of them when I was in my twenties. As a matter of fact, I think his stories had a direct influence on my interest in the history of the American West and, subsequently, what I eventually chose to write about. I had had his memoir on my bookshelf for probably twenty years and decided it was high time I read it. It was a wonderful, enlightening book of a humble, hard-working man who quit school at the age of fifteen but who had such a thirst for knowledge that he never went anywhere without a book in his pocket. It tells of his struggle to become a published writer, and how he acquired an education from his many travels, jobs, and adventures as well as from simply reading, reading, reading. This is an inspiring book for fans of L'Amour and for writers in general.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Nice post. I invite you to take a look at my blog. You might be interested since it's pretty much all about Louis L'Amour. Let me know what you think!

http://www.lamourproject.com

ps I'm kind of on a break right now, but feel free to read through my posts.

Anonymous said...

I, too, am somewhat of a Louis L'Amour fan having read many of his books. Out of all his stories that I have read, my favorite is one that wanders away from his Western writing, "The Last of The Breed."

Linda Sandifer said...

Yes, I also enjoyed "The Last of the Breed." Another book of his that strayed from the traditional western was "The Haunted Mesa."