"Wherever men have lived there is a story to be told." Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Things That Go "Bump" in the Night

Most scary movies are not really scary to me because they are too over the top to be believable. However, The Sixth Sense was one movie that made it hard to go to sleep after watching it.

I didn't go looking for When Ghosts Speak by Mary Ann Winkowski, but I happened to stumble on it while in Barnes and Noble the other day. According to the book's introduction, Mary Ann is the consultant to the TV series, The Ghost Whisperer, and she can see ghosts. She says ghosts are with us all the time. That creeps me out. I had to buy the book.

You might wonder why an author of mostly western-type books is talking about ghosts. Well, it's because I've always been intrigued by the paranormal and particularly haunted places (God knows, there are a lot of those in the West). Three of my western romances--Desire's Treasure, The Turquoise Sun, and Firelight--had paranormal elements. A ghost of a Jesuit Priest played a significant role in Desire's Treasure. Recently when I decided to write a contemporary suspense, it only seemed natural to throw in a bit of the paranormal. This new book doesn't deal with ghosts per se, only with a heroine who has psychometry abilities to help her find . . . wait, what was that? A sound in the hall. Like a footfall on the carpet. I turn to look. There is no one there. Well, of course not. I'm alone. It must have just been the house . . . settling.

2 comments:

asabourova said...

Spoooooky!! This thriller/suspense is going to be great. :)

B.J. Anderson said...

Yeah, it creeped me out too when you were telling me about it! It makes me want to hide under the bed with my eyes closed for the rest of my life.