"Wherever men have lived there is a story to be told." Henry David Thoreau

Friday, October 5, 2007

Inner Conflict

I've been working on a new book idea and when I'm not immersed in research, I'm developing the characters. My writers group has been discussing Donald Maass's "Writing the Breakout Novel" and the workbook that goes along with it. The questions in the workbook make you dig to really get into your character and make them multidimensional. We're presently working on the chapter about inner conflict. When you have to come up with answers on the spot for your group, it makes you realize that you need to go home and do some more homework. The point Maass makes is that inner "turmoil" isn't enough. Your character has to be pulled in opposite directions to be truly conflicted. I think if you've got a story idea that doesn't seem to be working, this book will help you find out why.

2 comments:

asabourova said...

I went through the workbook with the book I just finished. I couldn't believe all the new ideas and depths I came up with. I feel like it really made my book stronger. This is a great idea for writers' group meetings.

B.J. Anderson said...

I love this workbook. It's an invaluable tool for any writer.